The second recipe I found as well as my Honey and lemon recipe was one for Salted caramel cupcakes which in the end I didn’t end up making the salted caramel filing so they turned out as a plain sponge with a vanilla meringue icing on top. If you have a sweet tooth you need to try these they are AMAZING !!
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 3/4 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 6 tablespoons of butter, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup of brown sugar
- 1/4 cup of granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon of pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons of milk
- 1 1/2 cups of butter
- 5 large egg whites
- 1 1/4 cups of granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
Method for Cupcakes
- Line a cupcake tin with 12 cupcake cases and preheat oven to 175 Degrees C.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside
- In the bowl of your stand mixer, cream together butter, brown sugar, and granulated sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition, add in vanilla extract.
- Add flour mixture and milk alternatively. Start and end with the flour. Be careful not to over mix the batter, but make sure there are no lumps. Divide batter evenly between the 12 cupcake cavities. Place in the oven and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Make sure cupcakes are completely cool before piping any icing on top.
Method for buttercream icing
- Add egg whites and granulated sugar to the bowl of your stand mixer, place over a pot of simmering water (not boiling), whisking gently and frequently until the sugar has completely dissolved and the egg whites are hot to the touch.
- Remove the egg white mixture from the heat, whip with electric mixer until the egg whites are glossy, and the bottom of the bowl feels cold when you touch it (not warm because the butter will melt when you add it if the bowl is warm, which you don’t want.) This took me about 15 minutes so be patient.
- With your electric mixer on low speed, add butter
- cubes, one at a time, until mixed with no lumps, and mix until it has reached a smooth texture (if mixture curdles, keep mixing and it will come back to smooth). Add vanilla and salt, continuing to beat on low speed until well combined. Place mixture in the fridge for 10-15mins to set it completely (this made it a lot easier to pipe for me)
- Remove icing from the fridge, pipe and decorate as desired.