Recently I purchased a new Kitchen Aid style stand mixer and hadn’t really got to use it so I searched online and found 2 recipes for Cupcakes I had not tried before to challenge my baking skills. The first set I made were Lemon and Honey Cupcakes with a Lemon and honey buttercream icing, I was so happy with how these turned out I wanted to share with you all.
Ingredients for cupcakes
- 2 1/2 Cups Flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 Cup Sour Cream
- 1/4 Cup Milk
- 1 1/2 tablespoon of grated lemon zest
- 4 tablespoons of Lemon juice
- 3/4 Cup of butter
- 3/4 Cup of honey
- 1/4 cup of sugar
- 3 large eggs
Ingredients for Lemon-Honey Frosting
- 1 cup butter
- 1/4 cup of honey
- 1 1/2 tablespoons of grated lemon zest
- 4 cups of icing sugar
- the juice of 2 lemons
- 2-3 drops of yellow food coloring
Method for cupcakes
- Pre Heat oven to 175 degrees C and Line a cupcake tin with 12 cupcake cases
- Whisk Flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl, mix and set aside
- Whisk sour cream, milk, lemon zest and lemon juice in a small bowl until well mixed.
- In a stand/electric mixer beat butter, honey and sugar for 2 minutes until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs one at a time until well blended.
- With your mixer on a low speed, add in half the flour mixture, then all of the sour cream mixture. Add in the remaining flour mixture until combined.
- Spoon the batter evenly into each cupcake case. Bake for 18 minutes until a knife inserted into the middle comes out clear. Wait until cupcakes are completely cool before icing.
Method for Honey-Lemon Buttercream icing
- Cream butter, honey and lemon zest in a large bowl with your electric mixer for about 2 minutes.
- On a low speed add in the Icing sugar until blended.
- Add in lemon juice and yellow food colouring until mixture is fluffy and pale yellow.
- Spoon mixture into a piping bag and pipe cupcakes as desired.